Herman Au Photography

My photo
Welcome to my blog! I'm a professional wedding photographer based in Los Angeles California. Follow my footsteps in turning my life long hobby into a career I love, and check out my latest work, newest products, teasers, and photography tutorials. I shoot in an unobtrusive photojournalistic style with an emphasis on natural and genuine emotions. You can find my portfolio on my website - http://www.hermanau.com.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Nikon D50 vs D70

I picked up a Nikon D70 a while ago from Patrick through a friend of mine at a discounted price (thanks Patrick!). I've been using it for a little while now and I feel comfortable enough to start writing about the differences. I'm sure you'll find a lot of articles comparing the specs on the Internet, but let me be honest and say that most of them are not useful. Why? Because they're not highlighting the most important differences! Let me skip past the specs comparison and get to the point, and hopefully help those who are choosing between the two cameras from the used DSLR market.
CameraD50D70
Depth of Field Previewn/adedicated button
External Flash Commander moden/a, you can use a flash sync cable, but you cannot mount it onto the stand with the cable attachedbuilt-in
Dial Controls1 (camera offers less features accessed thruough shortcut keys)2 (camera offers more features for quick access, but also prone to accidental changes due to that)
Sensor6.1 Megapixel, slightly less noisy at high ISO than the D706.1 Megapixel, images tend to be on the blue side (WB compensation available through camera function)
LCD2.0 inches1.8 inches, preview feature is not as user friendly also
Top LCD information panelNO LED (yikes!!!)LED lit, dedicated button to turn on/off
ISO4 settings from 200 - 16009 settings from 200 - 1600
Overall builtsolidslightly better built than the D50, also a bit bigger